I have some serious suggestions in that regard. Sometimes it just takes a small tweaking inside to change your world outside. And heavens knows (I having been there more times than I want to admit) that hanging out in the "breakdown" place for too long is less than ideal.
The line can sometimes be blurred between mid life crises (for me there have been multiple "mid-life" crises anyway) and a full on breakdown. But yes, therapy's a great idea, and here's my .02. I personally would be a mess without being able to talk to somebody who is literally 100% unbiased in terms of my career choices, family/friend/loved one relationship choices, my personal worldview on religious and political beliefs and practices, etc. Getting a therapist, to me, is very similar to hiring a personal trainer or a coach. I wish it weren't viewed so often as somebody failing somehow for needing/wanting to see a therapist.
All that said, it may take a few first time meetings before you find somebody you can trust or who has a communication style that clicks with you. I met a couple weirdos before finding one I trust. But it's very, very worth it.
*Hugs* Not sure what all is going on but therapy is never a bad thing, in my opinion. When I had my little freakout and started having panic attacks a few years ago meds helped, sure, but it was the cognitive-behavioral therapy that made a huge difference. I used to be very embarrassed by it all but my feelings have changed dramatically over the years and I think the world would be a much happier place if we all had our very own personal therapist on hand whenever we needed it! =)
Some thoughts on that from when I was seeing a therapist for my anxiety: http://mugglex.blogspot.com/2009/07/life-is-marathon-not-sprint.html
Let me know if there is anything I can do. Love ya!
5 comments:
I have some serious suggestions in that regard. Sometimes it just takes a small tweaking inside to change your world outside. And heavens knows (I having been there more times than I want to admit) that hanging out in the "breakdown" place for too long is less than ideal.
Love your guts. We should talk. :)
Em
Aww Kathleen. Wish I could give you a hug.
The line can sometimes be blurred between mid life crises (for me there have been multiple "mid-life" crises anyway) and a full on breakdown. But yes, therapy's a great idea, and here's my .02. I personally would be a mess without being able to talk to somebody who is literally 100% unbiased in terms of my career choices, family/friend/loved one relationship choices, my personal worldview on religious and political beliefs and practices, etc. Getting a therapist, to me, is very similar to hiring a personal trainer or a coach. I wish it weren't viewed so often as somebody failing somehow for needing/wanting to see a therapist.
All that said, it may take a few first time meetings before you find somebody you can trust or who has a communication style that clicks with you. I met a couple weirdos before finding one I trust. But it's very, very worth it.
love ya cuz
*Hugs*
Not sure what all is going on but therapy is never a bad thing, in my opinion. When I had my little freakout and started having panic attacks a few years ago meds helped, sure, but it was the cognitive-behavioral therapy that made a huge difference. I used to be very embarrassed by it all but my feelings have changed dramatically over the years and I think the world would be a much happier place if we all had our very own personal therapist on hand whenever we needed it! =)
Some thoughts on that from when I was seeing a therapist for my anxiety: http://mugglex.blogspot.com/2009/07/life-is-marathon-not-sprint.html
Let me know if there is anything I can do. Love ya!
Oh NO...you're super woman.
Although, my bishop often says there are three types of people on the earth:
1-Those currently in therapy
2-Those who've had therapy
3-Those who have yet to have therapy.
Sending sunshine your way.
thanks everyone for your love and support! these all made me smile. i'm so grateful for good friends.
Post a Comment