Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Dancing, Singing, Applauding, and...What? My Night with BTE.

I'll state publicly here that pretty much my all-time favorite band is Better Than Ezra. They've been around for a long time, but have never become sell-outs. They play in relatively small venues, do infrequent and erratic tours, and maybe pump out an album every five years or so. Most people I talk to don't know them by name, but would recognize a few fan favorites (Good, Desperately Wanting, Extraordinary). (I apologize for the quality of YouTube video there.)

They had a show at the Dallas House of Blues last night, and I talked all my brothers (and their respective significant others) into doing a little road trip down there during my Christmas break. The wives graciously agreed (with some specifications), and I took off with all my brothers yesterday afternoon and away we went. We arrived probably a little earlier than we needed to, but grooved along to some good ol' N'awlins jazz until they started. This show was a small step on their Krewe of Rocckus road to Mardis Gras tour.

The show was great. Everything I always knew and hoped it would be. They never disappoint. They are hilarious, talented, and all-around entertaining. We laughed, we danced, we reminisced, and mostly had an all around good time.

I knew something was wrong, however, about the second song of the encore. I started to notice how dehydrated I was feeling. I tried to shake it off, thought about going to pay out my nose for a bottle of water, but figured it would be over quite shortly. They played about 4 songs for the encore, and I was certain they were done when they started right into one of my all-time faves, In the Blood. (Now there's a decent music video...why can't MTV have all the previous ones I want to blog about posted on their website? Maybe because MTV doesn't really do the whole music video-or really music anything-anymore. I digress...)

I knew I was going to be sick. I made my way past my little bro and went and leaned against the railing surrounding the sound deck. My brothers all looked at me, and knew something was up, but I didn't want to leave so I stayed put and they continued to enjoy the music. Then the dry heaves came. I thought I could hold out, but I knew it was futile after a few seconds. I spotted some empty beer cups strewn on the floor, tapped my little bro on the back, and told him to get me a beer cup pronto. As soon as it was in hand, I let her rip. I didn't have much but bile, considering I was dehydrated. As soon as I did, however, I felt 100 percent better and went on to enjoy the rest of that last song, holding my vomit cup.

After the show, we walked passed a garbage can, and it was overflowing. Knowing I couldn't subject my fellow concert goers to the possibility of my vomit spilling all over the floor, I reconciled myself to setting my vomit cup on one of the bars full of half-empty beer cups. Some poor janitor would have to deal, but I thought it better that than all over the floor of the Foundation Room.

We went on our way, crashed at my apartment, and left early this morning to head back to OKC. It was a memorable and adventurous road trip with my brothers, and I have say that's mostly due to the vomiting in the beer cup and not wanting to leave the awesome Better Than Ezra show incident.

Better Than Ezra, you still rock my world!


1 comment:

Suz said...

Excellent.