I had an interesting conversation with a director today, oddly enough, about politics. She was once ultra conservative and, as she put it, motherhood has made her more liberal. She mentioned that the government ought not to legislate social issues (e.g. abortion, marriage), arguing that it's a personal choice. She also cited that we as Christians ought to love and accept everyone, although we might not agree with each others' lifestyles. She said that she will teach her children that certain things are right and wrong. She also stated that what other people choose to do is their right, and she has her own right to choose her own way.
I smiled and nodded most of the time, digested all of it, and am left reflecting on it.
Now that I've got you chewing on that, I'm interested in your thoughts on the issue.
1 comment:
interesting topic. one i think about a lot. because i myself certainly have very particular beliefs, but one of my most core beliefs is that everyone should be able to believe whatever they want. sort of a live and let live school of thought. the downside is that i struggle then to actually take a stand on something being right or wrong. it's hard for me to label these types of personal choices as wrong when my instincts are to just be accepting. PS - why haven't we talked in forever???
Post a Comment