Friday, August 13, 2010

Day 02: Your Favorite Movie

The Saint
I unabashedly claim this as my favorite movie. While the plot is, well frankly, lacking, there are some really great things about this movie. A young and still handsome Val Kilmer may or may not be on the top of that list.

Real Genius
If you're sensing a general theme, you're probably correct. Val Kilmer also stars in this 80s comedy about teenage geniuses at an MIT-like school who are commissioned to build a laser for their tool bag of a dean/professor. The fast-paced wit, and the embracing of the nerd, is classic. It doesn't get any better than Val Kilmer philosophically saying, "I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates when he said, 'I drank what?'"

The Holiday
I watch this movie all the time. It has to be a favorite. The music is probably what makes it so great. And I very much relate to the characters in this film; all four of them, if you'd believe it.

Sense & Sensibility
I'm a sucker for any of Jane Austen's classic books put to film (minus a few recent attempts that cast terribly actors and take Austen's brilliance and throw it to the wolves). I love the Ang Lee version (although the BBC version is more in tune with the book). My heart always yearns for Elinor, but Colonel Brandon is the one that I constantly connect more often than not. He is always a constant, and his love is pure and without guile.

No comments: