Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Tunage

Music is pretty much my life. I've played the piano for over 17 years now (that's almost 2 decades!) and due to the nature of my childhood, listening to music of all kinds is very important to me.

There is nothing more motivating to me than a good song. When I go on a long drive (or the hour drive I take each way on my way to and from Stillwater back home to the City), I have my music carefully planned out. Now that I have an iPod, it's less of a hassle to deal with picking out just what CDs I need to have available at my fingertips. With the iPod, I have all of my music ready to be played with the touch of a button. When I do some major organizing or cleaning project, I have some great upbeat tunes playing in the background. It helps get my blood flowing.

Of course some music is better for some circumstances than others. A good rock n' roll song is great for in the car, some spring cleaning, or running. For homework, I prefer something a little more mellow. Something that is in the background, soft, and just helps get my brain thinking. When I write, I even like to have some great music, preferably with excellent lyrics. Good lyrics are always necessary.

I have discovered quite a few bands lately and I haven't had the time to sit and really listen to them and pick out which songs I like best, or which albums I prefer, or for which type of situation the music would better suit. Last week I explored my Radiohead collection. Today I listened to The Cab. I also I have several albums compliments of my brother and haven't really listened to them extensively.

Music is a major part of who I am. I just don't know what I would do without it. If you come across any great musicians, pass their information onto me. I am always in the market for new discoveries.

3 comments:

Miranda Tate said...

Lately I've come to really like Anberline, Matt Nathanson, "Welcome Home" from Coheed and Cambria. Thats the only song I like, but you may be interested in more. Im pretty much in love with the August Rush soundtrack. If you dont have it I can pass it your way.. And personally I love Eli Young Band, theyre more Red Dirt Country.. but I've been told they dont sound like any form of country from other people. FM Static is way good.. (in my opinion.) I really like their songs "Tonight" and "Moment of Truth". Johnny Cooper is pretty good. (back to the countryish side of things) Those are just a few of what I have come across recently.. If you've already heard of them, awesome! and sorry for the repeats, if not.. glad I could offer a suggestion or two.. :)

ms-mclaws said...

Hello my friend. I just wanted to say that I think you and I have similar tastes of music, which to me, means we are friends forever. DEEP deep bond right there. Lately I have been into some Josh Ritter, Ray LaMontagne, Beck's new CD "Sea Change" (WAY AMAZING), Band of Horses, and Wilco. I dunno, just some ideas. Anyway... keep it rockin.

Lisa said...

If you like lo-fi downbeat electronica stuff for studying, go to pandora.com and type in "royksopp" for your starting artist.