I have a hard time when people take statements completely out of context.
CNN posted this story about the Pope, and the news wire itself took the liberty to totally misconstrue what the Pope said and probably meant.
I have to agree with the Pope. What he was saying was that passing out condoms to individuals and raising awareness for safe sex has not curbed the problem in our world of HIV/AIDS. He wasn't saying that condoms didn't PREVENT the spread of HIV. I would have to agree, although a study to back me up would be great, that there is more awareness for practicing safe sex these days and the spread of HIV is still rampant. I'd be interested to see if it has actually gone up since schools have started teaching sex ed.
But back to my point: people, countries, and organizations are now criticizing the Pope all because they choose to misconstrue and take out of context his statement and make it seem like he meant something totally different. I think he should stick to his guns and NOT retract his statement. I see no need for it!
No comments:
Post a Comment