Monday, March 02, 2009

My Name Ain't Techno Kath for Kicks, Ya'll

Background:

I am enrolled, much to my dismay, in an Accounting Information Systems class this semester. This is terribly appalling to me, since, I have no interest whatsoever in ISYS, I'm not going to be an auditor, and I didn't do very well in my undergrad class of the same name.

In addition to reading all sorts of lovely articles about ERP implementation, IT productivity/profitability paradoxes, etc., we get to work on some AIS software called Great Plains. This probably isn't a bad thing for us to do, since it is a form of bookkeeping software that many small to mid-size companies use (my brother's old company, for instance, used it). Also, I can't complain about doing the homework since I assume it's rote enough to get through whilst watching my favorite afternoon reruns on TNT.

Our first group of assignments is due in about 10 days. I had great hopes of getting started on it the last two weekends, but frankly it just didn't work out. So, since I got ahead on my Partnerships homework for today, I had all day today planned to get a good start on this stuff.

Open scene:

I turned on my computer this morning to install the software and get going on the assignment. I take a good look at my disk drive on my laptop (which I bought at the end of August last year) and notice it looks a little funny. On top of that, it isn't opening when I push the button. I try pushing it in, then pushing the button, which works. I'm still a little worried. I insert the disk and worried turns to strong concern when the disk does not rotate, it does not autorun, and when I go to My Computer, my DVD drive is nowhere to be found.

I start doing a little troubleshooting (after panicking, of course, and thinking of all the options I have to get this homework completed within the next 10 days without my laptop available, and of course getting my computer fixed ASAP). I came across some help topics, and when they told me to re-install my DVD drive, that was all fine and dandy except even on my Device Manager the drive was nowhere to be found.

Then I start reading things about reseating my DVD drive (which means you physically remove the drive from your computer and put it back in). Then I tested the drive using Command Prompt. Voila! It works like a charm now. Except for that incessant buzzing of course.

I guess I should mention that last week when I was watching the nephews, I was packing up my stuff and came around the corner with my computer in my hand and almost ran over Brandon and dropped everything in my hand, including my computer.

But I did fix it. Sort of. And that's why my name is Techno Kath.

End scene.

1 comment:

R* said...

great plains is a microsoft product. it's not the greatest, so they're actually trying to fix and rebrand under their dynamics software.

while i am not an accountant by any stretch of the imagination, i did support work and training on 2 erp implementations for financials / project systems so while you're not a fan of this isys class, i'd love to hear what they have to say about oracle and sap.

xoxo
cuz