The birthing process fascinates, yet frightens, me terribly. I seriously compare having a living thing in your body to that one scene in Alien where the baby alien pops out of Kane's stomach, which of course is not a pleasant thought at all. That can also be a very viable comparison to the actual giving birth process, which once again, is not a pleasant thought.
Newborns, on the other hand, I really have no such fear. I find them very tender and adorable and sweet, but I must admit, they are kind of weird. There is something to not being able to really do anything yourself, not even hold your head up.
For instance, this evening I finally got to hold my new nephew, Andrew. It was determined that I have terrible allergies, not a cold, so it was acceptable for me to hold him. He has these cute little mitts on his hands. I am always fascinated that you have the following predicament with newborns: you can't clip their fingernails for some time, they have absolutely no control over their body movements, and they have long fingernails (relatively). So, they can often scratch up their face.
While I was holding him, he sneezed approximately 10 times, and spit up twice within the couple of hours I was with him. The spitting up fascinated me because he kept his mouth closed, and so it proceeded to come out his nose. Of course his face got all red and he got fussy. That doesn't feel very good! The sneezing was kind of funny to me, because he actually was sneezing out snot and junk and stuff. I also was joking that he was allergic to me.
Finally, newborns have a tendency to twitch. It's a little unnerving, but my brother assures me he is not have seizures.
Apart from all the weird newborn tendencies, I absolutely adore my little nephew. He is precious and sweet and darling and precious and adorable and did I mention precious? I should get some pictures of him and me very soon.
1 comment:
The stuff that comes out of his mouth and nose doesn't compare to the stuff that comes out the other end... and a lot more often :) My favorite thing about newborns is you can snuggle them all you want and they love it!
Post a Comment