So, I've been struggling a lot with my current situation, meaning me living in Stillwater and attending the ward here. I'm not into letting everybody all up in my business, if you know what I mean, so apparently that gets misconstrued as "I don't want to be here" and "I'm a snob." While the latter is sometimes warranted, and the former is warranted only occasionally when I am missing someone in particular, generally speaking, if I don't want to be somewhere, I don't waste my time or anybody else's time and I just don't show up or I leave.
Well, earlier this semester, someone approached me about playing intramural basketball. I was like, yeah! I'd love to! It turns out, however, that they play on Mondays at 4 p.m. and I have class at 4:30. So, I had to turn them down. The other night, I ran into someone (one of the people who has definitely told me to my face that I need some sort of attitude adjustment...after which I gladly put her in her place...) was doing something that looked like forming an intramural sports team. I made a comment, and she was like, um...we're playing softball...I said, why didn't anyone ask me? She said, "well, we just assumed you were too busy." And yet the other two grad students in the ward were invited...
So, after making a huge deal about them not including me, I talk them into letting me join. Honestly, I didn't really want to play softball. I like the game, but really on Wednesday nights I just want to curl up in my PJ's and do something like bake cookies and watch stupid movies on TV. But, I had to in order to prove a point: if I have the time, I'm all over doing stuff, and so don't just assume that I'm too busy. Assuming simply makes an ass out of you and me, so just ask.
So, tonight was our first game. The Clark cousins of mine are huge into intramural sports. Plus, at BYU, intramurals were a HUGE deal. So, I was slightly worried about what tonight would be like. I brought my bat and glove, and prayed I still remembered how to catch and hit a ball with a bat. Turns out, I do! I got a decent hit every time I was at the plate (base hit the first time, got out at first the second). We won (although under questionable scoring by the crazy, inattentive umps), and I'm excited to play every Wednesday night at 9 p.m.
That'll show 'em that I'm worthy of asking to join a team!
3 comments:
Good job on getting some hits in and showing others that you want to be involved!
I understand how you feel!
www.freedoms-fight.blogspot.com
An all too familiar situation. I completely understand.
Post a Comment