Saturday, March 16, 2013

On Health

Healthy is such a relative term.  We maintain healthy weights. We maintain healthy diets. We generally don't get ill. I've always generally been in the category of the latter two - generally maintained a somewhat healthy diet and haven't been stricken down with illness very often - maybe once a year I'd get a cold.

But suddenly I've found myself with neither two. My diet has gotten out of control - take this past week, for instance, when I had a burger from Jake's two days out of the week, a bratwurst from Katy Trail Ice House and the fattiest onion rings you've ever seen, a reuben sandwich stuffed with sauerkraut and corned beef, a burger from The Porch with a side of mac n cheese and fries followed by their delicious signature gooey butter cake, and a number of other unhealthy eats. My diet has spiraled out of control, and this is just one week. Let's not mention the other weeks where I ate crap most days, and I've refused to make time for even going for a walk. It should be no surprise, then, that I came down with a bout of yet another viral something or other this weekend. I'm pretty sure I'm running a fever off and on, and my glands are swollen on one side accompanied with sore-ish throat and ear on the same side. And the congestion - oh the nasal congestion, not to mention the fatigue that puts me slightly out of breath when I waddle to and from my kitchen in my little apartment.

I keep saying that this routine I have going is a dangerous downward spiral where I know my weight and diet and just overall health are compromised. I can't afford to live like this for a number of reasons, but the most pressing one is I've got a job to do and Relief Society sisters to serve. Ain't nobody got time for how I'm feeling, but especially me.

So, sitting in my bed (where I have been pretty much since 11 p.m. last night - and it's now 3:20 p.m. the next day), I resolve for the umpteenth time to make time to take care of me. To eat better, to at least go for a walk a handful of times a week, and get loads of rest. I can't keep going like this, or else my body is going to revolt against me in a horrible way.

No comments: