Roomie and I jumped at the chance last fall and purchased these delicious tickets for a weekend in New York in January. Yes, it might be cold, but yes, it was New York. No brainer!
We flew in on Friday afternoon and immediately jumped on the Hampton Jitney to go visit our friend who is a nanny in the sleepy town of Southampton. (Yes, I will be making a trip back to one of the most exclusive vacation spots this summer where I can hit up the beach like a baller. No shame, people, no shame.) The next afternoon the three of us caught the Jitney back to NYC for the rest of the weekend. We stayed with Roomie's friend Mike, aka the "Ginger," who was the best host any three girls could ask for.
Some highlights of our trip included Chelsea Market, Artichoke's Pizza, High Line Park, the Brooklyn Art Library, a Brooklyn Prop Shop Fire Sale, Church, the 9/11 Memorial, and just hanging around New York. We came back Monday morning to real life once again.
I just wanted to write about some of the impressions I had at the 9/11 Memorial. I don't know if it is because of the recent school shootings and untimely deaths of innocents in Connecticut and all this talk about gun control, but I am hyper aware of the interesting dichotomies in our society and the reverence (or lack thereof) for life. I was struck that among the names etched around the waterfall memorials were listed women's name with "and her unborn child." There were so many of these. And all around me I hear of "more gun control measures in place" under the argument of "if we can save just one innocent life." And then I think about the abortion debate. I'm not going to get into why I don't think abortion should be illegal, but I do believe abortion to be morally wrong in the majority of its uses. And I think about how many unborn children are deliberately aborted just because they were "unwanted." And I'm pretty sure the statistics, worldwide, show that the number of abortions performed trump the number of homicides. And then I think about the funny way people pick and choose what life for which they have reverence. That's about all I'll say on the topic, but it was fresh, and it hit me, and I was very much introspective the rest of the day.
![]() |
| I couldn't get enough of this bathroom. It was magical. |
![]() |
| My friends' digs in the Hamptons. |
![]() |
| I could get used to that! |
![]() |
| Freedom Tower. |
![]() |
| One of the Waterfall Memorials at the 9/11 Memorial. |







1 comment:
Yay for NYC!! Great pics!
Post a Comment