Wednesday, February 01, 2012

Health, etc.

I've been thinking a lot lately about health. A lot of stuff has been flying around the media regarding obesity, kids' health, new diets, studies of what's good for you, etc. I find myself chuckling slightly to myself every time. Here are some thoughts I've had over the last few months. Please don't hold me accountable just yet - I am a work in progress after all.

1. There seems to be a lot of studies showing the health benefits of things that we all know aren't really that good for you. For example, coffee, alcohol, chocolate, etc. I find myself wondering why we as humans keep attempting to validate our consumption of products that we honestly would just be better without. Yes, I know it's practically blaspheme to declare that we would be better off without chocolate. But really, we would.

2. It seems like every month a new fad diet hits the media that promises quick and "healthy" weight loss. Honestly, it's just plain silly to assume that the old fashioned way of eating right and exercising is worse than some ridiculous diet that calls for toxic supplements or gives you the freedom to eat really fatty foods. Impatience will be rewarded with non-success in the long run, even if in the short run it appears to produce results.

3. Finally, today I happened upon an opinion article on CNN where the author ridiculously suggested that sugar be regulated like alcohol. I snorted loudly when I read the headline, and honestly couldn't get through the article. Obesity in America and especially the pandemic affecting children, is nothing but laziness and bad parenting's fault. I ate a moderate amount of sugar as a kid (regulated by my PARENTS, not the GOVERNMENT), but guess what else I did? I was outside ALL the time, running around playing. The only time I watched TV was on Friday nights (T.G.I.F. anyone?) and Saturday morning cartoons (X-Men and TMNT). I'm reminded of something wise that someone once said, "No other success will compensate for failure in the home." (David O. McKay)

I'll get off my soap box for now. Just some food for thought.

3 comments:

Dr. J said...

What did they mean by regulating sugar? Like a soda tax? I'm all for that except, it's ironic that the government subsidizes corn, which incentivizes farmers to grow excess corn, which leads to production of excess corn syrup, and then tax the consumers for buying the excess corn syrup.

Camille said...

Here here!! I hate how so many Americans play the victim to their own health problems. I know sometimes health issues are just "bad luck," but I hardly believe obesity is one of those issues. The end.

Tali Nay said...

i loved TGIF. i had a sabrina the teenage witch poster in my room as a teenager.