Monday, February 20, 2012

Day 7: My Middle Name

There is a tradition on my maternal side of the family that has been present for several generations back. I'm not entirely sure (though could probably easily discover) where this tradition originated. The tradition is this: the girls receive no middle name, with the intention that they would take their maiden name as their middle name when they got married, thereby "keeping the name in the family."

Therefore, my grandmother's middle name is "Smith", my mother's middle name is "Clark", and I will take my current last name as my middle name upon being happily married. My mom has one sister, and she chose not to carry on the tradition with her daughter. My mother obviously carried it on, but none of my sisters have or intend to do so. Out of respect for tradition, and appreciating its purpose, I plan to carry on the tradition, and hopefully if I have a daughter, she will as well.

No comments: