Friday, April 15, 2011

Mansfield Park




During the last year, I made it a goal to read all of Jane Austen's novels in an effort to rightfully determine my very favorite. So far, Persuasion has been the leading contender. Several years ago, I had attempted Emma to no avail. I couldn't bring myself to read about a bratty, indiscreet young woman who had nothing better to do with her time than meddle in everyone's love lives. I sat down last summer, finally, and read it. I found myself enjoying it. I don't know why I doubted Jane Austen.

So, a few weeks ago I picked up Mansfield Park. What a lovely read! I loved it, and to my delight, my favorite film adaptation was pretty close to the storyline.

Fanny Price is the quintessential heroine. She is reserved, an under-appreciated beauty, and very sensible. I also appreciate Austen's writing in this one; she is extra witty and she takes the liberty of directing her last chapter to the audience.

I recommend Mansfield Park very highly, but Persuasion still takes the cake.

No comments: