Monday, February 28, 2011

Video iPod: The End of an Epic Era

My iPod: a 16 GB video iPod that I bought in 2006 in order to have some great tunes along for the epic journey I made to South America that summer. My ex scolded me for having no case and insisted I take his extra green silicon one. I surprisingly hardly remember that he gave it to me, which I count as a blessing seeing our eventual demise wasn't very pretty. But I digress...

This lovely iPod has yet to be filled. Five years later and I still have 3.74 free GB. I only have music; no photos or videos. Perhaps it's not that bizarre. I have a lot of music. This iPod has seen me to Sao Paolo, Buenos Aires, Manaus, Santiago, and Rio. It's seen me through two college graduations, countless jogs and elliptical battles, road trips, a summer lifeguarding, and many a sleepless night when I turned to Jim Dale and Harry Potter to calm me and help clear my head.

And now my lovely iPod that I purchased with my tax refund that fated March afternoon in the BYU Bookstore, is slowly meeting its own demise. The battery reached its end years ago, so I always have a plug handy and hate long flights. But now, I fear, it has reached a fate worse than dead battery: it has reached the point where no sound comes from the right speaker when connected to it. The connection is just not working right. I could take it in and attempt to get it fixed, or I could break down and buy a new one. The third option is to hold out until July when I break down and purchase the iPhone 5 (assuming it really DOES come out in July). But July is just so far away...and I have way too many travels and workouts ahead of me to go on listening with just one speaker. The lack of balance kills me.

Thoughts/suggestions/questions/comments/concerns?

2 comments:

Tazzy said...

John has been following the release of the Iphone5 because I told him I think I want one and since its on Verizon now I can get one but have to wait for 5 to come out..Anywho..He said rumor is its not comming out next year :( I hope hes wrong. Especially since hes on his 4th blackberry and Im seeing that other phones are more fabulous haha

Kat said...

Yeah, but Verizon doesn't have 4G for iPhones yet...