Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Disappointing

I read this article tonight because it caught my attention. I think this is an interesting topic, and I definitely have my views on it. I do agree that unplanned pregnancy is a huge problem, although I may disagree with those interviewed regarding the solutions for it.

The thing that disappointed me the most about it, though, was that the solution of better education about contraceptives listed parents as the fourth source for that education. Schools, health care providers, and community-based venues were listed in front of parents. In fact, they say that "parents can also play a big role." Maybe I'm a bit old-fashioned, or I had a better relationship with my parents (not so much), but I feel like sex education is primarily the parent's responsibility. School systems, health care providers, and community-based venues are supplementary educational sources.

I'm just disappointed that society is having to make up for the lack of good parenting, and that it's being allowed to be the catch-all. Quite frankly, parents need to put on their big boy and girl underwear, suck it up, and have the "difficult conversations" with their kids. It's not anybody else's responsibility.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree. I know teachers that have had conversations with parents where the parents think it's the teachers job to do all the teaching, all the disciplining, and everything else. It's so disappointing that parents rely on others to raise their children.

Suz said...

I definitely agree. I just see a lack of people wanting to parent in general, especially at the pool. Parents think they don't need to be in the water with their kids that are under 5 years old. I'm thinking...you know they can drown in 1 inch of water...why would you risk that? It would be refreshing to see society turn back to the families for basic knowledge/principles to be taught.