Sunday, November 08, 2009

Background Check Woes

Earlier this week I got an email from my company telling me all about how I needed to complete some forms so this company could perform a background check on me. I had a test this week, but amidst all my studying, I opted to take the time to fill out all the forms that were "time sensitive" (must be completed in three days). For those of you unfamiliar with that process, it involves a lot of invasive questions, including all residence information for the last 7 years of your life, high school and college and graduate school information, and pretty much a whole bunch of other stuff. To sum it all up, it took me quite a bit of precious study time.

Three days later, I got a phone call telling me I needed to print out some form, sign it, and fax it back to "Timothy." I didn't get around to it until Friday morning, but I DID have a test, and a few leaves to rake.

Meanwhile, I get another email telling me to do the entire process over again. I still had the confirmation email in my inbox from the first go around, so I ignored it thinking it was a mistake. Today, I open my email and have a scathing email telling me I did not complete the forms in the required 3 day window and I need to get it done. Annoyed? A little. But I figured I could humor them and maybe do it again. I started the process and got all the way to the point where I had to include all the places I've lived for the last 7 years, remembered how much of a pain in my behind that was, and promptly decided I would call them first thing in the morning.

2 comments:

Nathan said...

The first time I was asked to provide a ten year history of where I've lived, I built a spreadsheet and saved it. Don't think that hasn't come in handy. This won't be the last time you're asked for that information...

Kat said...

Spreadsheet. Of course. Why didn't I think of that?