Wednesday, July 22, 2009

On the Road to Becoming a CPA

Yesterday, I FedExed my first thing ever: my Application of Intent to become a CPA in the state of Texas. This process was crazy. I had to fill out a 3 page document, which included an affidavit. I had to attach a "passport like photo" to the front page. I had to include one notarized copy of my drivers' license and one notarized copy of my social security card. Then I had to have a signed and notarized release form stating the Texas board could look under all my rocks and holes to find any unethical acts. I attached two official transcripts (one from the BYU and one from OSU), included a check for $50, and started reading the FAQ's to find out how long this process takes. I noticed that it can take up to 3 weeks. Considering I'm wanting to sit for the first section (BEC) on August 31, I started panicking a little and decided it was time to explore next day delivery. I took it to FedEx, paid the lovely $23 to have it there today by 10:30 a.m., and felt a sigh of relief.

This morning, I decided I would enroll in Becker. I've also been putting this off. I woke up and ate breakfast with the parentals and then decided to take a little morning nap. While lying there, I realized I had no idea where my full-time offer packet was from PwC. This lovely packet includes all information needed to direct bill Becker to the firm. I got up and decided I ought to have a looksy. After going through nearly all of my boxes, I have concluded that I threw it away, left it in a drawer in my apartment in Stilly (meaning it's long gone now), or it is somewhere I'll never find until I move again and empty everything. I found all of my internship materials, but the full-time stuff is sadly MIA. So I decided to call the PwC On-boarding Team. The lovely woman in Tampa was kind enough to let me know some details and voila! I enrolled in Becker. Pending PwC's verification that I am indeed someone eligible for direct pay, I'll receive my Becker items within the next 10 days. Shabang!

Now I just hope my application goes through so I can fill out an eligibility application to sit. After that, it's death by payment (it costs about $800 total for all 4 sections), then death by study, then death by test.

No comments: