
Okay, so many of you know of my goal to travel to all 7 continents during my lifetime. In greater and greater attempts to postpone studying for my Estate & Gift Taxation final, I have been researching how to get to the most difficult of all continents: Antarctica. Now, this all started when I decided to research how to get to the Falkland Islands (a group of islands off the southern coast of Argentina). I've wanted to go the Falkland Islands ever since I read Madeleine L'Engle's Troubling a Star (one of my faves). This research (a trip that is VERY expensive, by the way, and nearly impossible) led me to start researching how I would ever get to Antarctica. Ironically, a trip to the Falklands AND Antarctica requires getting to the same city in Chile: Punta Arenas.
Now, if I thought a trip to the Falklands was going to be expensive, boy was I in for an even bigger surprise for getting to Antarctica. It costs approximately $3,500 for a 2 day trip from Punta Arenas. On top of that, you have to arrange for 6 nights of stay in Punta Arenas in case the day you are scheduled to land on Antarctica doesn't work out due to the weather.
Anywho, here is one of the websites (I'm sure there a few other companies) for a charter company for trips to Antarctica if you are interested in checking it out. Of course, I'm fully aware that I'm probably the only person I know who wants to go there. But it's at least worth a gander just for sheer amazement.
No comments:
Post a Comment