Thursday, May 14, 2009

Paper Empire


Better Than Ezra released their latest album, Paper Empire, on Tuesday, May 12. I've been looking forward to it, since the last album they released was back in 2005. Sadly, this fabulous band (or maybe not sadly...you be the judge) has not been on tour since Hurricane Katrina hit the gulf. They have been spending some quality time helping to rebuild New Orleans (where they are based).

But I digress. They are on tour once again with a new drummer and a new album with new songs. And I am pumped.

And so, I have spent the last two days devouring the new album and here is my review:

It is difficult to admit that this is the first BTE album that I don't love every single song, but it's true. I don't love every single song. But the songs I like, I like a lot. In fact, the songs I like I think are some of their best songs. They've developed a broader range of sound. This album dabbles in some dance rock (with songs like Nightclubbing and Black Light) and also in some mellow-piano-y ones like I Just Knew.

My faves include Absolutely Still (the first single), Turn Up the Bright Lights, Just One Day (the lyrics on this one are BRILLIANT), The Loveless, Fit, Wounded, and I Just Knew.

It might be hard to find, but if you like Alternative Rock, I suggest you check out my favorite band, Better Than Ezra.

1 comment:

R* said...

exciting! one of my best dates at BYU was sophomore year, a good guy friend of mine took me to BTE in salt lake. i flirted with the sound guy and got their playlist, and my guy friend stole it. i was really kinda upset until he showed up at my apt with a CD of the playlist and some pretty awesome liner notes. forgiven! i still listen to it, and yeah, they're a great band to listen to live.