Saturday, November 29, 2008

My Nephews are Awesome

I know, I know. Pretty much this one is a no-brainer, but just in case you didn't know it, my two nephews are the bomb. They are pretty much the most awesome kids ever.

I watched them this afternoon/evening whilst my brother and sister-in-law had a date night. Jackson is 3 and Brandon is 1, for those of you who are not aware. Jackson is not the most cuddly kid. In fact, I can rarely get him to even sit on my lap, even when I am putting his shoes on his feet. He does cuddle with Mommy or Papa (my dad), but generally would rather be sitting all by himself, not touching anyone. Brandon is almost the same. He likes to give loves and all (as much as a 1 year-old kid does), but he's such a mover and groover that basically he'd rather run around the couch several times giggling than sit on your lap.

Having said that, here is what happened this evening. Jackson was begging me to go play with him in the playroom pretty much as soon as I got to their house. I played with them a little, and then went and got my Tax Research book and attempted to read some of it in preparation for my test on Tuesday. Jackson spies me reading and of course wants to go pick out a book and have me read it to him. He sat right on my lap in the playroom and we read Dumbo. Then, he decides he wants to read another one. I tell him to pick one out and to bring it into the family room, because at this point Brandon had disappeared somewhere and was very quiet. We all know that when he's quiet it means he's most likely getting into something he shouldn't.

Jackson emerges from the playroom with Shel Silverstien's "A Light in the Attic." I made him snuggle in right next to me on the couch, which he did after a little protest (but not much, to my surprise). We started at the beginning and I read, using all the appropriate voices, of course. Soon enough, Jackson's head begins to bob. I couldn't believe it! He'd never fallen asleep snuggled up to me like that since he could walk. I read a couple more poems (which were delightful, as always), and then picked him up and let him sleep in my lap.

Meanwhile, Brandon was playing with a little ball. He was throwing it all over the living room, happily entertaining himself. Well, he then throws it and it rolls underneath the entertainment center. I have never seen a kid so determined. Mind you, he's 1. He was on the floor, looking behind the piece of furniture, reaching with all his might, trying his best to figure out a way to get that ball. I seriously could see the wheels turning in his head. He was so determined.

Eventually, I made some dinner, Jackson refused to eat and instead wanted to go to bed, so I put him in his pajamas and into bed and he passed out again. I fed Brandon, who always eats well, and then decided that I might as well get him in his pajamas too, since it was 7 p.m. He's then walking around the house, kind of chill, which is unusual for him. I decided maybe I could attempt to put him to bed. Since Jackson was in the bedroom already asleep, I was reluctant just to put Brandon in his bed because I knew he'd scream and I wasn't sure if Jackson would wake up (I since learned he wouldn't more than likely). I just picked him up and started swaying with him a little, and he didn't fight me at all. I then decided I'd go sit with him on the couch, and he just sat with me. We watched a little Jeremiah Johnson and a little What Not to Wear, and he was happy as a clam to sit with me. Then Mom and Dad came home, and well, you know what that means.

So, I got a healthy dose of love from my nephews today. It was much needed. I've been a little high strung as of late and really a little unconditional love from small children helps keep things in perspective.

Now if only I could get someone other than a 1 or 3 year old to snuggle with me...

1 comment:

Tali Nay said...

What a great post, friend. Yay for nephews.