I just thought I'd take a moment to say how tired I am of crazy Mormons getting engaged after dating for only 1 or 2 months. Come on, people, with the divorce rate in the U.S. crazy high and the divorce rate among Mormons rising higher and higher, you'd think that the infatuation-based engagements (because really, that's on what they are based) would have slowed down. Take some time to get to know the person you're going to marry before you put/get a ring on the finger. Slow down and breathe. It won't kill you, you know.
4 comments:
Well, Wendi and I were engaged after about 2 months of dating. However, speaking from my own personal experience, it was much more than infatuation that led to our decision to get married. Don't discount the important element of personal revelation in these matters.
I will say that in our case, we didn't date long before we decided to get engaged, but we spent enough time together, and learned enough about each other, and asked for and received our own personal confirmation from the Lord that what we were doing was a good thing for both of us. In total, it was 8 months from the time we went on our first date to the time we got married. We are going to celebrate our 7th anniversary this December 28th, and my parents (who dated around the same amount of time if I recall correctly) recently celebrated their 30th anniversary. So, with all due respect and kindness, in response to your post, I would say that there is evidence suggesting that length of time in dating is not always a predictor of higher divorce rates.
I think I understand what you're saying here (re: your re to Mike's comment). To a logical third party observant, short courtships and short engagements just seem ridiculous and completely CRAZY. But it really is impossible to say what is the "right" amount of time or "normal" way of doing things because of crazy people like Mike and Wendi who keep giving the short courtshippers hope.
Just kidding.
Kind of.
It's all personal. I'm sure that there probably are a lot of infatuation-based LDS engagements, but we're not in their heads and it's not fair of us to assume that THE SEX!!!! is the basis of their engagement. Even though I'd still like to. And sometimes I still do.
=)
I didn't say that shorter courtships resulted in a higher divorce rate. In fact, there is no correlation whatsoever; however, it's still annoying when people marry the first person they ever dated and they just got off their mission 4 months prior to getting engaged...
Post a Comment