Friday, September 19, 2008

23, You're Not So Bad

So today (or rather, technically yesterday) I celebrated my 23rd birthday. Apart from getting kicked off my parents insurance, this birthday was far from falling into the "significant birthday" category.

23 has always been a scary age for me. I don't know if it's because it was the age my mother got married, or if it's because it was the age of my sister after she served a mission, or if it's because I knew I'd be a college graduate by this age. I don't know quite what it was, but maybe I felt like I should have accomplished something great by the time I turned 23 and therefore I had a fear that I'd screw that up somehow.

But alas, 23 is here. I am a college graduate, I did not serve a mission, and I am not getting married anytime soon. I have a full time job lined up after I'm done with graduate school. I would say I have accomplished a great many things by the time I have turned to 23, and to be honest, it isn't as scary as I thought it would be. I'm closer to 25 now than I am to 20, but really aging doesn't bother me that much.

I know I'm still a spring chicken, just a "kid" to many of you older folks, but I am a year older and I might add a little wiser too.

And it helped that I had the most birthday wishes for this birthday than any other birthday I've ever had. Thanks, everyone, for being so generous with your birthday cheer. It certainly made my day!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

23 is the best age! Still young enough to stay up late and party then sleep in the next day. Plus, not being attached you don't have to answer to anybody... wanna switch places for a day? :)