Wednesday, December 19, 2007

A Few Thoughts and an Update

Roommates: you gotta love 'em and you gotta hate 'em. For instance, my favorite roommate moment this month absolutely goes to the girls downstairs. I was minding my own business practicing the piano one night at approximately 8:42 p.m. when an unexpected doorbell interrupted my mad skills. It was one of the girls from downstairs. She apologized for ringing the doorbell, for she had tried knocking on the connecting doors and received no answer. I explained that I had been practicing. She then said, "Yeah, about that. Do you have a piano up here or something?" I nodded. "We can hear it throughout our entire apartment," she said, "and I'm trying to study, and so-and-so is trying to go to bed." I replied rather curtly, "It's not even 9 o'clock yet" and then added something to the effect that I would oblige them this once. Within 5 minutes of her returning to her humble abode, the TV was on and there was music playing and laughing so loud, that I could hear it through the floor. Does that sound like studying or sleeping? I think not. This loudness continued way past the 10 o'clock courtesy quiet time and I finally found myself in bed about midnight. I was about to fall asleep when talking jolted me wide awake: talking that was coming from below my bedroom floor, so loud that I could almost make out words. That was it. I had it. I was through handling it graciously. I threw on my robe, marched downstairs, and knocked on their door (rather rudely and loudly, I might add) and scared the crap out of them. "It's midnight. I'm trying to go to bed. I can hear you guys talking. Did you want to be a little quieter?" "We were talking quietly," they said as they cowered away from me. "Well, be more quiet. I guess I'm also just confused because I thought you all were going to bed like 3 hours ago." "Well so-and-so asleep." I wonder how she was asleep with all the riff raff going on down there. So, I am done being polite. After being woken up by loud music at 7:30 on multiple occasions, I still am a little confused how they had the balls to tell me to quit playing the piano with some made up excuse about sleep and study before it was even 9 p.m. Until another round...

I'm graduating in April from BYU. I'm doing an internship in Dallas with an accounting firm. Come Fall 2008, I'll be attending Oklahoma State (if all goes as planned) to get my M.S. Accountancy in two more semesters. It's a little weird. I'm that much closer to real life, but I still have another year and a half. But, I am moving away from all that I know and love come the end of next May, so I think that's pretty good.

Other than that, school is pretty much the same as it always is, minus the stress of failing every exam I take, even when I study 12 hours + for it. My group this semester did have its fair share of idiots. One of which has a nagging wife who doesn't understand that schoolwork does indeed come before your personal life whenever other people's grades depend on your efforts (I must say that he was my least favorite). My favorite thing is that he is going to dental school. He'll never survive it with the attitudes that he has right now. I still am trying to understand why anyone would want to marry him in the first place. Ew. Yes, I understand how rude of a comment that was. More importantly, I understand and still don't really care.

2 comments:

Ben said...

That reminds me of the honey on the door incident after I left my bass to feedback at King Henry apts. Good times.

R* said...

that reminds ME of the time our hideously awful upstairs neighbor told me that i was playing my music ("classic chill compilation, disc 1") much too loudly for his sleeping family... ("we have children.") and then proceeded to run on a treadmill while his wife talked and laughed on the phone.

i called landlord dan, held the phone in the middle of the room so he could hear the banging, and got a box of chocolates and a thank you note for "putting up with certain rude neighbors."