Friday, November 03, 2006

Politics Rant

Unfortunately for those who are going to read this, I'm feeling the need to do a little rant about the politics of today. Mostly, I'm going to comment on the absurdity of the Republican party these days.

I admit, I'm a registered Republican. But I did so because back in the day that I registered, (which was a mere few years ago), the Republican party was still known for being the party for the moderate American. I consider myself pretty moderate. I'm not pro abortion, but I'm pro think about your options and then be able to go to a clean, licensed physician to get an abortion if that's what you decide. I'm all about the stem cell research. I'm all about lowering taxes. I'm all about reforming welfare to prevent its abuse. I'm all about education. I'm all about fiscal conservatism. I think that pretty well defines me as Moderate. Now, back to why I chose to be a Republican: it was the party that catered a little more to the Moderates. But these days, the Republicans are so far right I don't know why the hell I even bother with them.

Let's take stem cell research. Yeah yeah, maybe it will "[create] a legal foundation for the... destruction of innocent life." Um, what do you call throwing away unused embryos that were created for in vitro fertilization? And now Rush Limbaugh is accusing Michael J. Fox, a long-time Parkinson's vicitm, of exaggerating his symptoms in order to win the approval of stem cell research. Does Rush Limbaugh have Parkinson's? Does he know what it's like to see the people you love who have Parkinson's struggle throughout everyday life? If this research helps to find a cure for this debilitating disease or others, I would have to say research those stem cells.

Like I said before, I'm not really pro abortion, but I don't think we should ban it in the United States. Abortions are going to happen. I don't think that women are going to say, "Hey, let me get an abortion so that they can do stem cell research." Instead, I think women will respond with, "I decided to get an abortion. I might as well donate the fetus for stem cell research." I know this is a touchy subject for my fellow Republicans, but they have got to get over themselves, quit hiding out in the conservative corner, and read the facts and start thinking logically instead of emotionally. It doesn't make sense to ban incredible research because it could "potentially" lead to other so-called evils. Why don't we go ahead and ban driving? It creates a foundation for potential loss of life.

I think an article title in Newsweek said it best: Not Your Daddy's Democrats. If they're the moderate party these days, sign me up. I'm sick of listening to my fellow party members bellow about bull they don't even understand.

No comments: