Sunday, April 17, 2011

Warrior Dash

War·rior: noun, often attributive\ˈwr-yər, ˈwr-ē-ər, ˈwär-ē- also ˈwär-yər\ Definition of WARRIOR: a man or woman engaged or experienced in warfare; broadly : a person engaged in some struggle or conflict.

Yesterday I became a warrior. I took part in the infamous Warrior Dash 2011. I survived with only a few minor cuts and bruises. I couldn't help but think as we lined up for the 5:30 p.m. heat that the day of reckoning had arrived. From the time we signed up in February, I did my best to train by running 4 to 5 days a week. After several weeks, I still hadn't run much further than 1.2 miles. That's not anywhere near the 3.24 miles that makes up a 5K. I'm not a runner, I've never desired to be a runner, but I do have a desire to be able to actually compete in a
5K. Thankfully, I had some amazing friends who didn't mind walking every once in a while, especially when my asthma acted up and I felt like I was being stabbed in the chest every time I took a breath. I finished, we were incredibly muddy, and today...well let's just say that standing is fine, sitting is fine, but the in between? Not so fine.

There is a night run on June 5th called the Firefly Run in which I intend to participate. This time, I mean to run the whole 3.24 miles. That just means I'm going to need to keep up my running regimen and up the ante a little.

I promise, though, I'm really not a runner.

For your viewing pleasure:

Me and Andrea.


Me with Christine.


Some of the eventful costumes we encountered. Those are furry shorts.


He's wearing pink leopard print everything, complete with a tail.

Post finish line. Gotta love the mud!


Back at the Texas Motor Speedway to the cars, a little cleaner, thanks to the fire hose.




2 comments:

Suz said...

Hey, I just got some Chacos too...

Kat said...

Haha, I love that that is what you comment on. My chacs. :)

They are my favorite. Can live without 'em!