Once upon a time, I swam with a US Swimming (now USA Swimming) club team. I wasn't as into it as my sister, but I enjoyed my stint for the most part. I even swam in high school one year. The glory days of my swimming youth were not to be repeated (I won first place in the YMCA State Championship meet when I was 8 for the 100 meter freestyle). But I remember that year shaving 17 seconds off of my 100 yard free in 3 months and I was pretty darn proud of that.
Then I opted out of athletics, focusing instead on my academics, music, and photography. My last semester at BYU I took the intermediate swim class just to get back into the routine of swimming regularly. My body took a while to adjust to the workouts (I threw up almost every day after practice until my weight training professor instructed me in a structured diet for the days I swam that helped in that area). But then I graduated, and haven't swam laps regularly since.
Today I was thinking about how it would be nice to be in the routine of a swimming work out again. I stumbled upon the Dallas Aquatics Masters. I knew that the Masters was a grown-up version of USA Swimming - complete with coaches, practices, and meets (local, national, and international). My interest was piqued, and I'm strongly considering their one week free trial to see if the $75 a month or $800 a year fee would be worth it. It would be nice to get back into that kind of routine. I always did love swimming.
1 comment:
I say go for it!
Post a Comment