I've had a few this week. Like, when I've been walking down the halls at the office (yeah, I've been back there this week a bit) and people who know me kind of keep themselves preoccupied with papers they have in their hands to avoid making eye contact. That's a bit awkward.
But even more awkward was my experience tonight post Stake Conference. While the choir was singing I recognized one of them men as someone who married a girl in my ward one year at BYU. She had been roommates with my good friend Mary. I knew that this girl and her husband were in Dallas, but didn't realize that they lived in my stake.
I thought about finding her and saying hello, then voted against it to avoid any possible awkwardness. We weren't ever friends, just knew each other. Alas, she walked very near me and I met her eye and she gave me a look and I was stuck re-introducing myself. She said something about having seen me around and recognized that she knew me from somewhere. Pretty sure that was a lie. I've never seen her in Dallas until tonight.
It only got more awkward.
She assumed I was married. Had to correct that.
She asked for my phone number so that I could be invited to some dessert nights that she and her husband host for people with which he works. I'm pretty sure she didn't save my number, nor did she remember my name when we parted ways.
Basically, it would have sufficed her and I to merely say, "Oh good to see you again, I hope you're well!" and go on with our lives. I could have done without the awkwardness, and the lying for that matter.
1 comment:
I HATE that! I hate that people feel like they are doing you a favor by making some lame promises about inviting you and doing this or that when you KNOW it's not sincere. Sorry it was so awkward!
Post a Comment