Wednesday, February 24, 2010

New Words

Thanks to this endeavor, I have learned some new words!
  1. Flummox: confuse
  2. Ablution: the washing of one's body or part of it (as in a religious rite)
  3. Voluble: characterized by ready or rapid speech
  4. Restive: marked by impatience or uneasiness
  5. Chimerical: given to fantastic schemes
  6. Piratical: having qualities of one who commits acts of piracy
  7. Mercurial: having qualities of eloquence, ingenuity, or thievishness attributed to the god Mercury
  8. Conciliatory: gaining goodwill by performing pleasing acts
  9. Dirigible: capable of being steered
  10. Fauntleroy: an excessively polite and well-dressed boy
  11. Feral: not domesticated or cultivated
  12. Scurrility: an offensively rude or abusive remark
  13. Forelock: a lock of hair growing from the front of the head
I find it amazing that I learned all these words from half a book. For the record, some of these words aren't hard to figure out what they mean (like piratical), but I didn't know such a use existed of the root "pirate." That Marilynne Robinson...

A special thanks goes to Merriam-Webster's online dictionary. You've been my good friend for years!

No comments: