Monday, September 14, 2009

Running Out of Time

Do you ever come to a significant point in life and realize you aren't ready for that next step? Do you ever realize that you aren't prepared for what is to come because YOU didn't take advantage of the time that was given you?

That's how I'm feeling today. A little panicked.

My grandfather is dying. Honestly, the man has been in congestive heart failure for over 10 years so every time I see him I treat it as the last. But this time he really is dying, and I realize that I haven't asked him all the right questions yet. I haven't asked him about his mother, his father, his growing up years. I haven't asked. I know all about his service in the South Pacific with the Navy as a Radioman in WWII. I know all about his courtship with my dear grandmother (who passed away in 2006). But I still have yet to understand why my grandpa is the way he is, molded from his childhood. And now it's just too late. I've run out of time.

3 comments:

Camille said...

I know exactly how you are feeling. My grandma is in the same state it seems, maybe not quite as dire, but very ill. It makes me sad, but it's such a blessing knowing you will see him/her again. Thank goodness for the gospel.

Kat said...

I know, isn't it wonderful?

Tamra Watson said...

That's why we have eternity :)