I had a conversation with some people about my blog recently, and they reminded me that much of my blog is associated with several inside jokes and/or references to things that not everyone gets. I'll do my best to explain here.
The Title
This comes from a story that my cousin R* tells regarding one of her consulting gigs. She was interviewing a guy about some changes at the company, and he would occasionally interject a comment, followed by "but I'm just sharing Henry's thoughts..." The whole time she was thinking, "Who the heck is Henry?" After the interview, it turns out the name of the man she was interviewing was Henry. My sister and I got such a kick out of it, we picked up the phrase. Often, we'd make a comment and follow it up with "just sharin' Henry's thoughts, just sharin' Henry's thoughts..." My blog used to be titled something else (if I sat here long enough I might remember it...), but I decided in the past year to change things up. That seemed the most appropriate title.
The Quote Underneath the Title, as well as "Winter Carnival Royalty"
Both of these are references to my all-time favorite film, Real Genius. I have always been entertained by the quote about Socrates, because it is a real quote from Socrates following his infamous drink of hemlock, prior to his imminent death. "Winter Carnival Royalty" is a reference to a part where the kids make an ice skating rink in the dorms, and the unforgettable character Kent goes crazy because, well, an ice skating rink in the dorms pretty much goes against every rule in dorm life. Val Kilmer's character, Chris Knight, jokingly tells Kent, "Oh, and we were going to make you king of the Winter Carnival..."
The Nicknames
The names that I list my linked blogs are names by which I refer to these individuals that either they or others have chosen, or I have made up. My own name on my blog, Techno Kath, is one such name, given to me by Queen Zippergut, my boss when I worked at WSC Support Services on The BYU campus.
3 comments:
I guess that is true...but since I'm completely awesome I knew all that. :)
was the old blog called "do you have any hobbies?" I ask only because that's your url.
A point of clarification: it wasn't an interview, it was a "calibration meeting" and the white haired dude was representin'. I had never met him but was fascinated by his opinionated friend henry. He and I worked together 2 years later and he is surprisingly sane...
Post a Comment