Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Snot Shirt

I've had a long month. I really have no other way to explain it without going into gory details with which I don't want to bore you all.

I had the worst of all weeks last week and didn't plan to go home on the weekend. I got a lot of things accomplished; however, on Sunday I was spent--totally and completely spent. I left church out of sorts and all I wanted was to go home. I wanted to be loved and needed and given all sorts of unconditional affection. I wasn't getting that anywhere in Stillwater, so I called my sister-in-law and asked if I could stop by in about an hour. She was a bit confused and said, "Are you in the city?" I said, "No." She laughed and said of course I could come and offered to even let me stay the night at their house.

So I grabbed a few items and drove to the city on Sunday night (really, this was stupid since I had office hours at 9 a.m. in Stillwater the next morning) and went straight to Nate & Tiff's house. Unfortunately for him but rather fortunately for me, little Brandon wasn't feeling very well which meant that he was very clingy indeed. He happily sat on my lap for a few minutes. Then, when it was time for bed, this child who usually wants nothing to do with cuddling or rocking or any putting-to-sleep rituals and wants only to be put in his crib, would have nothing to do with GOING into his crib. I held him and rocked him for several minutes and put him to sleep before laying him in his crib. That was enough to fill my cup for a month!

The few items I did grab on my way out of my apartment on Sunday did not include a complete change of clothes. I didn't realize until halfway through my office hours that I had snot all over the left sleeve of my shirt from Brandon. Katie M. came over on Monday and we worked on homework together. She noticed my snot shirt and insisted that I change it. I never got around to it, and when it was time for us to go to class she said, "I love that you haven't changed your shirt." At that point, I figured, it was pointless to change it, so I went to class with my snot shirt. It was a nice reminder that I am loved.

No comments: