Friday, April 24, 2009

The Enchilada Explosion

I started to write another post that referred to this night 2 years ago, and then realized I never blogged about it. In fact, 2 years ago my blogging sucked, so of course I wouldn't have blogged about something as ridiculous as blowing up a Pyrex full of enchiladas.

So the story goes:

I had made enchiladas one Sunday. After church, a few of the guy
s from across the street wondered if we wanted to have a little dinner. My roomies and I agreed that they should come over and partake of the enchiladas, since they make a lot anyway. They came over and brought a few things to cook up as well to contribute. My enchiladas were cooking to perfection in the oven, and when they were done I promptly removed their delicious, bubbly goodness and set them on an unused burner on the stove. I'm sure you can see where this story is going.

So, John, one of our neighbors, started working on making some fake mashed potatoes on the stove. He turned on the burner and started prepping away. I went ahead and decided to move the enchiladas to the other side of the kitchen (to the counter where all the food was) to get them out of the way and maybe start dishing them up. I picked them up and started the walk to the other side of the kitchen (a good 4 feet or so). This is what happened:

They were smoking.
I was very confused.
I lifted the pan to eye level and inspected.
They were burning.
I continued to be very confused.
I set them on the hot pad on the counter.
They whistled in a strange way.
All of a sudden the Pyrex exploded sending shards of glass in every direction.


John had accidentally turned on the wrong burner. You aren't supposed to put direct heat under a Pyrex or it will shatter. I have never put Pyrex on a stove top ever again.


1 comment:

Tali Nay said...

Oh, friend. I had forgotten about the pyrex!