Wednesday, February 11, 2009

First Tornadoes of the Season

We had our first crazy weather of the season. "We have been enjoying very fine weather," as Margaret Dashwood would say. It is very true. Last weekend and so far this week, we have experienced highs in the 70s and sunshine. Apart from winds gusting out of the south at about 10 to 20 mph, it has been marvelous. If I had a porch, I would have been out there doing my homework getting some sun.

Yesterday we were enjoying the most beautiful weather of all the days. The wind was nonexistent for the first time in days, I was walking around in campus in short sleeves, wishing I were in shorts and Chacos (I unfortunately had a presentation in one of my classes for which we as a group decided our dress code was jeans and a nice top). I walked to my 12:30 class in the sunshine. I then walked to my 2:00 class in even more sunshine. Still no cloud in sight. My friend had called me right before the 2:00 class but I missed it. Then my dad called me right after my class started. I didn't think much of it, and made a mental note that I needed to call him back because I had a tax question for him.

Right after my class got out at 3:15, my mom called me. I'm thinking, this is a coincidence. I hope nothing is wrong. She exclaims "We're having tornadoes here! It's heading your way, just so you know." I'm thinking, what? Tornadoes? The weather is BEAUTIFUL! Of course, I of all people should know how quickly the weather can change in Oklahoma. Sure enough, it had started sprinkling lightly and it was very, very dark outside for 3:15. She told me it was going to hit Langston (a town south west of Stillwater) at 3:35. That was perfect. I had just enough time to make it home before supposed baseball sized hail would hit. We never got baseball sized hail in Stillwater like they did in the City, but we did get lots of dime sized and golf ball sized hail. Poor Tyrone (that's my vehicle, for those of you who don't know) stuck it out marvelously and made it through without any noticeable dents.

I snuggled into my first floor apartment, grateful for the fact that my apartment is very sturdy and I have a first floor apartment with a bathroom right in the middle. I called some people from Church to make sure they were doing okay, and attempted to do some homework while watching News Channel 9's Gary England. I didn't get much homework done between the hours of 4 and 7, but I was very productive from 7 to 10.

My friend Stefani and I decided that the Bishop has been encouraging us to get 72-hour kits for a reason! While I have a 72-hour kit, it isn't complete. My flashlight is the size of a toothpick and I have no candles. I also need a plethora of matches. Next on my list of things to buy: good flashlight in case the power goes out (I was lucky I didn't lose power last night), matches, and some candles.

We apparently had a tornado touch down somewhere in Stilly, but I'm not sure where. I'm safe and sound, as are all of my family. A tornado touched down on the corner of NW Expressway and Rockwell in the City (for those who are familiar, for those not as familiar, it's a very busy intersection about 2 miles from my folks' house) and did some damage to a couple of restaurants and the Target there. I'm glad for two things: growing up here and having overcome my tremendous fear of tornadoes that I had as a child and that I'm fine and everyone that I know and love is fine as well.

No comments: