Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Who Needs Showers?

My friend TJN spent some quality time in an ice storm on the West Coast over her Christmas Break and discussed the wonders of not showering. I myself have embraced the life of slovenliness.

It has been lovely weather in Oklahoma. The governor has declared a state of emergency and whatnot. Basically, there is 1" of ice covering all surfaces that would get you anywhere: the roads, the sidewalks, even the grass (although ice on grass isn't a deathtrap like ice on roads and ice on sidewalks is). My best friend Katie made the unfortunate decision to drive up to Stillwater from OKC and of course, they closed campus at 2 p.m. Monday. So, she was in Stillwater, pretty much trapped, and calls me up and says, "we're going to lunch." Two hours later we decide to move into her sisters house for the afternoon/evening. We promised ourselves that we would do homework, but alas we simply watched television, ate some food, and watched some movies.

I woke up this morning to check the status of class cancellation around 7:30. If I had to go to class today, I had a ton of reading I needed to get done before my 12:30 class and didn't want to risk screwing up the quiz I would have. I had an email from the University informing me, that as suspected, campus was still closed. I went back to sleep starving on an unfamiliar bed, in an unfamiliar house. I woke up later to a text message from my roommate and decided it was time to get up. I straightened the unfamiliar bed on top of which I had slept, brushed my teeth, and "got ready" as best I could, meaning I ran my fingers through my hair and rinsed off my face. Katie was awake at this point and told me that there was really no food in the house and so if we were to eat, we would have to venture outside to Walmart.

We scraped off the car, put on boots over our pajamas, and drove very slowly to the store. We bought all sorts of crap to eat: hot chocolate, soda, lemon cake, strudel, pasta, chicken nuggets, crescent rolls, chips, dip, and cookie dough. We split the cost and made our way back to our refuge. We decided to eat some "breakfast," watch a movie, and then reward ourselves with homework. We watched the movie, and then ate lunch, and then watched another movie, and then finally got to the homework. It is now 7:30 in the p.m., we aren't going anywhere, and school will probably reopen tomorrow.

Since I haven't showered since yesterday morning and I don't have any real clothes to put on if I did shower, I guess I should cancel my 9 a.m. office hours tomorrow morning in the likely even that campus will indeed reopen tomorrow because a shower and clothes and getting back to campus aren't going to happen by 9 a.m. tomorrow.

No comments: