Sunday, December 07, 2008

Christmas Devo

Sidenote, this title totally reminds of the good times had whilst working in the Wilk with QZ and Org Cell. Oh, the days of ditching work for Devo on Tuesdays...

Well, tonight was one of my favorite events: the First Presidency Christmas Devotional. The words spoken plus the phenomenal music make this event worth my while every first Sunday in December. While this years wasn't exactly the experience I would have hoped (I was watching it with a bunch of singles who at times aren't mature enough to realize that the MoTab singing and the OTS is actually a part of the Devotional and not just a nice interlude between talks), the words spoken by the First Presidency and the music (that I could really enjoy when people weren't chatting it up behind me) were fantastic.

First, President Uchtdorf spoke. He talked about how Christmas is about Light. Jesus Christ is the Light of the World, and that during Christmas especially we should exhibit love and kindness. He also made a very interesting point about how the economic troubles we all seem to be experiencing could be a blessing this Christmas season because it will cause some people to look at the real meaning of Christmas, the birth of our Savior, Jesus Christ. He also talked about the humility of Christ's birth, how He was born in a manger, and not a mansion, and was wrapped in swaddling clothes, not silk. Truly His birth reflected the humble circumstances that followed Him throughout His life.

Then, President Eyring spoke. He spoke about traditions, and while every family has their own Christmas traditions, surely they all revolve around the birth of the Savior.

Finally, President Monson spoke. He of course had plenty of anecdotes about visiting widows during the season, but I was touched when he spoke about the birth of the Savior. He talked about how there was "no room" for Joseph and Mary in any inns, and they were forced to stay the night in a stable, that was most likely nothing more than a crude cave. He reminded us that in the world today, there is often the same cry "no room! no room!" for the Savior. We should make room for Him in our hearts and homes.

I truly love this wonderful season of Christmas. I thought about doing Advent, but will probably start it next weekend with my family and make up for missing this week. I wish you all a very Happy Christmas filled with warm memories and joy, and most importantly, a renewal in your testimonies that Jesus is the Christ.

1 comment:

Tali Nay said...

I enjoyed this because I missed the devo...on account of being on a plane.