Okay, at the risk of losing or offending several of you, I had an epiphany this evening whilst driving home to the city that I felt the desire to share. It is something that's been on my mind for a while since I found out the Obama is pro-allowance of 3rd trimester abortions.
I do not consider myself anti-abortion, but my views on abortion are far from liberal. I'll save you the details of my personal stance on abortion (but you'd find it strikingly similar to the Church's stance).
My epiphany was this: when people say they are pro-choice, they are pretending to be pro-agency. I've never been one to come out and say, "you people who have abortions are committed murder," but my thought process this evening wasn't far from it. My thought this evening was that a fetus is a life, just as much as the person standing next to you. And you wouldn't take the life away from the person standing next to you.
By having an abortion under the so-called "pro choice" defense, women are defeating the entire purpose of that stance. Their would-be child is left with no choices to be had in their would-be life. When women decide that they don't want a baby, it's like they forget that they had options before they even got pregnant in the first place: birth control or abstinence.
This dove tails wonderfully with my ever developing theory that in our world today, people are more and more refusing to take responsibility for their own choices. Women who don't want children who get pregnant and then decide to abort that child had a choice, and somehow they get it in their minds that they still have a choice to further avoid the consequences of their actions. When will people learn that consequences are a result, good or bad, of the choices we make?
So, maybe I am pro-choice--but before, not after.
1 comment:
For obvious reasons (well, obvious to you and those close to me) I have very strong feelings about this subject. It makes me see RED and really brings out the ugly in me.
I joke with Ben that the world is VERY lucky that I am not in charge. If I were, these women would lose their reproductive rights in a heartbeat. If they cannot cherish and appropriately manage this divine gift they've been given, I don't think they deserve it AT ALL. I would give an arm and a leg and go to the ends of the earth for what they so thoughtlessly destroy... Sometimes I just want to beat these people to a pulp... *sigh* See there? Like I said, this really brings out the ugly in me...
Post a Comment