I opened my computer the other day to a horrible sight: a cracked LCD screen. I was upset to say the least. I was actually hoping that it would be something else...maybe a bad video card or something like that. Unfortunately, it progressively got worse. I prepared myself for the worst. At the same time, I was panicking slightly because by calling it "my computer" I mean the computer that my brother lent me whilst on his mission that I have used the past year. I took my computer into Best Buy today (the 30 day warranty on the Dell had gleefully expired 30 days after the computer was purchased by my brother back in 2006) and had the Geek Squad give me a good idea as to how much it would cost to replace the screen: $300 to $500. Well, I meandered down to the computer isle and discovered I could buy a computer for around $700 (without the 3 year warranty--definitely where Best Buy makes their profit). It just wasn't worth having a 2 year old computer fixed for up to $500 when I could buy a new one for just pocket change more.
So, I bought myself a new computer. I ventured outside the Dell realm for the first time in years and bought myself a spiffy new HP. So far, I like it. My bank account wasn't ready for such a blow (once I tacked on the warranty and stuff, my price was closer to the $1,200 amount). Dad said that he would just make sure that Matt got a new-ish computer when he gets home. There wasn't any reason to replace the screen. I'll let him take care of that. Oy.
1 comment:
Yay! New computer! I live in fear that mine will go out any day now that my warranty has expired.
Post a Comment