Thursday, April 03, 2008

Stupid Parents

I love children. I really do. I hate parents. Please find below a list of grievances against parents in my 4 years in Happy Valley (because really, these phenomenons don't happen anywhere else):

1. Every Tuesday and Thursday at work, like clockwork, for approximately 30 minutes, I have to endure a screaming child outside of work. I don't know who it belongs to, but I do know that the parent obviously doesn't understand that their child is annoying and should be at home with a nanny.

2. It can be said that a babe will be present at any movie, at any time, no matter the rating, in Utah. Once again, parents don't understand that the child there poses a threat of annoyance and should be at home with a nanny.

3. While many professors at my university allow children to be present during class, it can be said fairly that other students hate it with a passion. I know I am at BYU and it is a family promoting environment, but I was under the impression that the BYU mission is first and foremost to provide the best education it can. For me, that means a child-free classroom. I am, after all, in accounting and not family sciences. If my fellow classmates can't find or afford a nanny, they shouldn't have had children until they were done with school.

4. The library is a place to study. I go there not very often, but when I do it's because I need a lack of distractions. A screaming or even babbling child is not cute, but a distraction from my studies. And it makes me want to punch the parent in the face.

5. Recruiting events are not for children unless they are specifically invited. I watched in horror a fellow classmate bring a babe in arm to a dinner before the interview event. Even worse, the BYU grad who was representing the company seemed to not care. Unfortunately for that student, they will have a rude awakening when they leave BYU and find that babes in arm are definitely not welcome except to company barbecues, and even then sometimes children aren't invited.

6. The screaming child outside of my work has been at it for approximately 20 minutes now.

7. Our church welcomes the presence of children in worship services. I fully support that. I do not, however, support keeping your child in the service when they are screaming so loud that the Spirit is disrupted and fellow members can't hear the speaker. I fully support taking the child outside until they are calm.

8. Some parents are too defensive of their children. Children aren't perfect. I should know, I am a child of some parents myself.

9. Children on airplanes are the worst. They can't help the fact that they don't understand why their heads are going to explode. That's why God invented Benadryl.

10. Children don't belong in nice restaurants. Chili's is one thing, but Macaroni Grill and up is something completely different. Oh, and children throwing food everywhere isn't cute. It's unacceptable.

3 comments:

Alex said...

LOL... I wonder how much you'll agree with this post when you have children of your own. Just sayin'... ;)

Kat said...

Oh don't worry, I'll still agree. I know there are good parents out there who know the proper child etiquette. I've seen it.

R* said...

as a sequel to this post... i'd be interested to see your definition of the "proper child etiquette" for these 10 items!