I have really felt enlightened this semester. I usually hate economics (and probably still do) and I also hate economists because I feel their general attitude is haughty and condescending to regular folk; however, I have learned a lot and care to share the wealth of knowledge I have acquired.
The dollar: it is falling compared with other currencies. This is true. But is that really a bad thing? Only if inflation rates start to rise in such a way that we can't survive off of our paychecks. Also, the dollar "expands" and "contracts," if you will, over the course of the economy. It just so happens that now is the time for it to contract.
So, the "solution" to our so-called problem with the dollar is this: exports. We learned this in my Money and Economics class. What is going on right now is that the supply of dollars is very high and the demand is not so high. We have been importing like crazy, and so we've been buying goods with the dollar, putting more and more dollars into the international currency market. That drives the price of the dollar down.
We are already seeing a rise in demand for US exports. That's because the dollar is so low that US goods are looking mighty attractive to other countries because they are inexpensive. The more other countries want to buy US goods, the demand for the dollar will rise, thereby causing the value of the dollar to rise.
Check this out if you think I'm off my rocker.
1 comment:
Ahh, the reason to get frustrated with your local news... for not telling you what you just said.
Post a Comment