Thursday, February 21, 2008

Favorite Employees

So, at my job (I work in a library of sorts), part of the duties we are assigned during the closing shift is to make sure that the room doesn't look like a tornado ran through it. That is, we are supposed to push in the chairs, etc. I open on Tuesday and Thursday mornings. Tuesday mornings, everything looks fantastic (but I am biased since I close Monday nights). For about 2 or 3 weeks, however, Thursday morning openings involved me going through the room and cleaning it up since someone had either neglected to do so the night before, or some other unknown phenomenon caused the chairs to become misplaced.

I initially blamed it on the closer on Wednesdays. I brought the occurrence to the attention of my boss and asked if she might graciously remind all who close to ensure the room looks in ship-shape condition. When she responded, she looked at the schedule, noticed that her favorite employee was the one who closes, and simply blamed it on the janitors. I was taken aback. This employee can do no wrong. It baffles me.

My boss eventually sent out an email reminding everyone to clean up the room, and in that email proceeded to blame messy chairs on janitors.

I find it interesting, though, that ever since the email was sent out, "the janitors" stopped messing with the chairs and they are now, every week, in ship-shape condition when I open on Thursday mornings. Coincidence? I think not.

3 comments:

Ben said...

set up a camera and expose them! That would be awesome.

Suz said...

Ridiculous work situations...

Michael said...

It must have been bcc'd to "the janitors"